Saturday, April 4, 2009

Depression, PTSD, and Dissociation

I have been thinking a lot about this new DBT Clinic and what it would mean for me. I really really don't want to stop seeing my current therapist but you know sometimes I think I get too comfortable with her. I know I got my tattoo for myself but I know my therapist played a large part in that. Sometimes I think we are too comfortable with each other for a counselor/client relationship. I seem to be experiencing deeper affects of PTSD lately which has led to more study and research on my part. Some of my findings;

What are the symptoms of Complex PTSD?

Alterations in consciousness

This includes things such as as forgetting traumatic events, reliving traumatic events, or having episodes in which one feels detached from one's mental processes or body.

What other difficulties do those with Complex PTSD tend to experience?

  • Survivors may avoid thinking and talking about trauma-related topics because the feelings associated with the trauma are often overwhelming.
  • Survivors may use alcohol and substance abuse as a way to avoid and numb feelings and thoughts related to the trauma.
  • Survivors may also engage in self-mutilation and other forms of self-harm
Many people with PTSD tend to re-experience the ordeal that set the disease in motion, especially when they are exposed to events or objects reminiscent of the trauma. Anniversaries of the event can also trigger symptoms. People with PTSD also experience emotional numbness, sleep disturbances, anxiety, intense guilt, depression, irritability, or outbursts of anger.


 I seem to be angry a lot lately and in almost an uncontrollable rage sort of way. I have been getting really livid with people when they don't understand me. I seem to be easily set off too. I was never an angry person but lately I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment